Sunday, July 02, 2006

Summertime, and the livin' is friggin easy

We moved into this house last fall, so this is my first harvest of our new-to-us blueberry bushes. I picked three containers of this size full of blueberries today, leaving plenty of greenies behind for a second picking.

Hope you like blueberry pancakes. They're on the menu for the next, oh, year.

I've never been much of a fruit preserving type, even though I come from a long line of preserving pros. It just seems that it's such a lot of work, always on the hottest day of the year, for a couple of jars of sweet goo that my college nutrition professor told me had most of the nutritional bonuses cooked out of it. And, although home-cooked jam from Grandma disappears before it ever leaves its sticky mark in my fridge, I find the grocery-store kind quite handy and affordable.

Okay, if I really liked jam, I'm sure I would be in there with the heat and jars and the pectin and whatnot, but to tell you the truth, I'm not a fan. So there you are. It's a matter of pure selfishness that I don't make preserves for my family, because I simply don't care for them. Look at me! I found a new guilt today! What did you find?

2 comments:

Robin said...

Love the blueberry pics.Just came across the blog on the way out. Eating them fresh is always better, it's just hard for many of our berries to make it back to the house not already being digested. Don't feel guilty, smuckers is pretty good. George.

SPOA said...

I have never seen blueberries out of a plastic container! These are beautiful.