Saturday, February 24, 2007

I'm No Boomer.

The Man keeps telling me I'm part of the Baby Boomer generation. I beg to differ.

Someone in The Man's Matrix of Knowledge has deemed that the generations break down like this: Seniors (born before 1946) Boomers (1946-1964) Generation X (1965-1981) Generation Y (1982-1999) and Generation Z (2000 - present). (Tom Bodett wonders whether we are in trouble, existentially speaking, since we seem to have run out of letters.)

My point is this:
  • I don't remember JFK or MLK;
  • I was 7 years old during the Summer of Love;
  • I never screamed at the Beatles; in fact,
  • I didn't curl up every Thursday or whatever to watch the Ed Sullivan show; and
  • My favorite cartoon was Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner, not Howdy Doody, whatever that thing was.
I'm going to have to start my own tweener generation reference for myself and other 60 - 65 babies. I'm going to call it the Acme Generation. Because our generation keeps buying stuff and trying new stuff just try to get some dinner (let's face it, Wile E. is hungry - he just wants a Roadrunner sandwich), and the stuff just keeps failing on us. We got the Commodore 64 computers. We might have been able to play Pong on them, but once we touched the F1 button, the screen went blank, and there went $595 on 64K of deep fried RAM. We were told that when we grew up, we were going to get jet packs. All we got were VCRs and big hair. And my computer still doesn't work.
A more apt name would be the Disco Generation, but disco got a bad rap (again, the Acme curse). Thanks, Hooked on the Classics. If you don't get that reference, then you don't belong in my new generation. I suppose you could blame the demise of disco on all the coke, but every generation has their drug of choice. The Boomers had their pot. By the time I was in high school, the coke and qualuude references were flying so fast on Saturday Night Live, the censors could not keep up.
Saturday Night Live: another Acme Generation high point (note brilliant triple entendre). Get off of my SNL, Boomers!
More on this later. I'm just warming up.

No comments: