Monday, August 13, 2007

The Ivy Root of the Week

I say it looks a little like a reindeer. The pickaxe (I've decided to spell it with an "e" for extra length) is for perspective. Ooh, I'm a killer. Yes, this IS the most exciting part of my day.
I don't think this picture captures the insidious nature of this wisteria vine, but it's the best I could do. This shoot is like six feet long, reaching out blindly to grasp whatever may be out there to capture and subdue. These shoots come out of the mother vine all over, climbing the roof, getting into the cracks between the house and the eaves, feeling around for something to crawl onto and consume. As you can tell, it has already begun to demolish the fence once built to hold it up. Left alone for a summer, this vine would destroy Vancouver.
If it didn't look like this in the spring, it would have been gone a long time ago. But once more, beauty successfully disguises evil.

No comments: