Friday, January 28, 2005

Those Zany Republicans - Like That College Roommate You Had To Throw Out For Taking Your Text Books and Selling Them.

Watch out, I'm going to slip a little Social Security blah-blah in here, but stay with me - it will be over quickly - and worth it, if you enjoy a laugh at your own expense. I heard the absolute best argument I've heard so far to gut Social Security revenue (which will have to be paid for by the taxpayers in the end anyway - think about it) by allowing workers to open their own little SS accounts. Enjoy:

  1. Social Security has this great trust fund that would have kept everyone in retirement checks for as long as they can count....
  2. Except that lately the government has been dipping its hands in the Social Security trust fund cookie jar so many times that the trust fund now has a shaky financial future, especially if they keep it up...
  3. Oh, by the way, they could have avoided this Social Security "crisis" with Al Gore's much-maligned "lock-box"...
  4. They could still patch it up pretty well if the government would just keep its grimy hands off of it...
  5. But here's the fun part - if they just scare everybody into thinking that our little retirement nest egg is headed for an iceberg, they can make a lot of money for some folks they know on Wall Street...
  6. So, they tell the gullible American public what? That they better get their own little Social Security account because YOU CAN'T TRUST THE GOVERNMENT - THEY'LL JUST SPEND IT! ISN'T THAT PRECIOUS? I'LL YELLING, AREN'T I? Sorry. But can you beat that? The same people who have been stealing from your retirement account are now telling you, "better take it, or I'll just spend it! I just can't be trusted with money! ha-ha!"

Can you beat that? When I heard this on NPR while out walking the dog, I hooted and started talking to myself, which must have been alarming for the neighbors. No wonder they avoid me.

No comments: