Wednesday, July 04, 2007

A Clark County Fourth: Shucks and Awe

The house is ever so gently pulsing from the huge "Biggest Show West of the Mississippi!" downtown. Meanwhile, I'm guessing somewhere in the range of $100,000 is going up in smoke around me in north Clark County tonight. Explosions the size that used to serve as the big community extravanza in my home town of Vernonia. Here, they are being lit by kids. And enough firecrackers in between to sound like automatic gunfire. It's constant and from all sides. If I circled my house from outside, there would be no direction I could look where I couldn't find a big, local, fiery blossom in the sky.

Annie is handling it as well as can be expected. I'm just waiting for it to end. And listing the things they could have done with their money. Like buy a clue.

No comments: